Friday, February 15, 2008

The Beginning

Proverbs 19:21 says, For many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

I was born and raised in the Great State of Texas, where Southern pride is at it's finest. My mother cleaned houses and my father was a bricklayer. To this day they are both still at their skill of trade. My mother took us to church every Sunday that I can remember and our church family was of course, our second family. There were always many hugs, kisses and love seemed to overflow from the windows and doors.

My home church split when I was in Elementary School and being too young to fully understand everything it had little effect on me at the time. In attending the "new" church I grew into a teenager and all the problems that come along with that title. My parents divorced when I was in Middle School which brought more freedom to do things that I should not have become involved in. My mother remarried a loving man who supports and loves her to this day. During this time of freedom I attended church, but was not walking with the Lord.

In High School I was your "all american girl" and even became Homecoming Queen. Still my life lacked spiritual discipline in every way other than attendance on Sundays.

It was by the providence of God and His grace that I met my husband my Senior year of high school. A story so miraculas that it's a testimony in of itself. (See http://bibbyfam.blogspot.com/2008/02/our-story-gods-providence.html). We were married just seven months after meeting on February 7, 1998. God is so good.

The day after graduation we packed up all my things and we moved to Indiana. My first move.
My plans were not God's plans, as was the lesson I would learn over the next six years. Our first two years we lived with my In-Laws, though they are not referred to as such. Mom and Dad graciously took us in until we were able to stand on our own feet financially. Eric, my husband, attended Purdue University and was a full time student majoring in Electrical Engineering and striving for a minor in Japanese. Bitterness and anger found a way into my heart towards Eric and his family. I was selfish and immature and wanted to go "home." I chose to wallow in self-pitty, behind closed doors, and selfishly lost many opportunities to learn from the wisdom of Eric's mother.

We moved to campus where I formed life changing friendships with the other young married couples from our church. It was through a particular friendship with a Godly woman named Beka who opened my heart to the Lord and taught me of the precious gift of assurance. I finally found the path that I need to be on. Once I found that path and started my journey, it became rocky and uphill. I found the nearest bench and parked myself there for nearly four years. Sitting on that bench I received much knowledge while attending the Reformed Church, but I sat that knowledge next to me on that same bench on which I sat. Though the Lord was urging me to "take up my bed and walk", I would occasionally rise ready to 'hit the trail', but found myself sitting back down.

Our first born son, Luke Jonathan, was born in January of 2004. It was again God's providence and perfect plan for our lives. We were visiting my oldest girlfriend in Texas after celebrating the birth of her first baby girl, Jacelynn (my god-daughter), when her husband was called away on active duty. Being there to witness this family separated for nineteen months and the love we had for this new baby girl, was more than we could both bare. It was the day we decided not to 'wait' any longer that I became pregnant with Luke. Again, God showed me His plans were better than mine.

Luke's birth and his first year was the most challenging and joyous time in my life, second only to that of my marriage. God used the announcement of pregnancy of our second child, Kayla Marie to bring me to my knees.

God again used, Beka, to show me an example of a what a Godly mother is supposed to look like. And I found my face buried in my hands and tears, at my lack of strength to do it on my own.

I finally rose up off the bench I had planted myself on for so long and dusted off all the knowledge the Lord had equipped me with.

Eph 4:1-2 says, I therefore, a prisoner of the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, patience, bearing one another's burdens.

I have found my path, my calling, my gifts, my assurance, my love for my children and husband, my humility, God's grace and mercy, His forgiveness, the forgiveness of my family and Eric's, and my strength.

Praise our mighty God, to Him be glorified with this life He has so graciously given to me.




0 thoughts from friends: