Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Bright Sunday

Today during our morning service we listened to two of our young people give public testimony and take their vows of membership. As per most of the covenant children, their testimonies began the same, 'raised in a christian home', but as they went on it began to really set in. The younger of the boys shared how at the age of three he asked the Lord into his heart. At the age of six he was talking to his mother about suffering for growth. At the age of 10 he was really growing in the sermons.

As I looked around the church during offering time I was filled with such a different sort of emotion. I didn't want to cry nor shout for joy, but it was an emotion of.... I guess stillness. I looked at each family and thought about all the testimonies I'd heard in years past from the Covenant children. They were so very much alike, 'raised in a christian home', 'there's not really a time when I didn't know Christ', phrases like this rushed back into my head. I sat there in awe of the knowledge and depth of truth taught in our church to our children at such a young age.

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. Deuteronomy 6:6-8

How true these words became for me today. As I bowed my head in thanksgiving for truth of God's Word in the church, I glanced over to the young gal sitting beside me.

Eric stayed home sick today and I took the kids to church. I was vastly outnumbered as you can imagine. Sweet little Anna, who is not so little anymore, came and sat in our pew to help. I remember her, and maybe always will, as the little three year old Anna. Now she is in high school, helping me with my kids. Anna is so blessed with long dark brown hair and the thickest eyelashes (I'm a little envious). She is really beautiful not only on the outside, but on the inside. For the first time today, I saw a young woman of Christ. I count myself blessed to have been able to get to know Anna and the rest of her family better, now that we are all in the same bible study. And I praised God for her and her way with Luke as I watched him smile at her and laugh with those big blue eyes all a sparkle. I'm so looking forward to hearing her give her testimony.

Our church family has become so precious to me in so many ways. Today was a extra special service filled with many who were brightly shining with Christ's light.

1 thoughts from friends:

Tracy said...

We continually pray that there will never be a day that our children don't know the Lord. That they would be secure in his fold from birth. While I know that it's not true for two of my children so far, for they have gone through a trying time when God was pulling them closer, it's such a wonderful blessing to see them growing in faith at a young age.