Saturday, March 1, 2008

Where's my gold star?

I had a very planned, detailed part this past week. The guest list was small but significant, ME MYSELF & I. I took a lot of time to spend on decorations of self-doubt, selfishness and complaining. I feasted on lies and misconceptions. I took part in the daily activity of pity for days on end.

I decided to give the Great Doubter, who had been my guest of *honor* this past week, the boot! I swiftly turned to a mirror and gave the host a good swift kick in the rear-end. (You should have seen that).

I received the much needed strength for the swift kick from our awesome God in more than one way.

I read recently that some of the great cathedrals in Europe were carved by (one) men, whom no one remember, (two) the builders gave their whole lives for a work they would never see finished, (three) they made great sacrifices and expected no credit, and (four) the passion of their building was fueled by their faith that the eyes of God saw everything.
A legendary story in the book told of a rich man who came to visit the cathedral while it was being built, and he saw a workman carving a tiny bird on the inside of a beam. He was puzzled and asked the man, 'Why are you spending so much time carving that bird into a beam that will be covered by the roof, No one will ever see it. And the workman replied, 'Because God sees.'

There are so many days I unappreciated. Doesn't anyone see how tired I am.... see the sacrifices I make... see the struggles I overcome... the great things I do (in my mind)... see the small things... see the large things.... doesn't anyone see what I've done? Where's my gold star? (A job well done).

God does.
Today I decided to please my Heavenly Father and really learn the meaning of pleasing Him rather than earning self-glory. I need to maintain my home because God gave me this home. I need to maintain myself because I am a beacon for His light. I need to maintain my children because they are His children.

I'm going to try an experiment. My hypothesis is that I will feel silly sometimes. Every time I set out to complete a task, something that no one else but me will notice, I'm going to show God. I'm going to have a conversation with my Lord and SHOW Him what I've done for HIM. So the next time I get the kitchen cleaned I will show my Lord that I have taken care of what He provided for me. "Look how shiny I made this stove that you provided for me to cook the food that you provide for our family." I want to change my thought process, and the only way to do that is to change the way I think inside my mind. How can we break a habit? Start a new, better habit. How? Practice, practice, practice.

2 thoughts from friends:

Aubs said...

Jean Marie....you have no idea what an inspiration you are to me. I can relate so whole heartedly to this struggle and I thank you for this post. Sometimes it is helpful just to hear that someone you look up to so much faces the same struggles. And thanks be that we serve such a gracious God! Have a wonderful week!

Tracy said...

Loved this post. I need to join you in doing this, too!