Monday, March 10, 2008

Priority - The Hubby

Last night Eric and I discussed what it means to be a stay-at-home mom. I won't quote him because this is a "g" rated site ;-). Having to take care of the kids for the past two days while I was sick really had an impact on him. He was more than happy to return to his "desk job and his computer" today. I was filled with love!

Today as I was running around trying to get caught up on the laundry, I stopped and stared at our wedding picture for a minute. Eric looks so young without his goat-tee. (Pretty sure that's not the correct spelling of it). I said a little prayer of thanksgiving for Eric and turned my prayers to our children. Mid prayer, I felt a little thought creep in. 'What do you children see?' When I look at that picture of our wedding day it reminds me of how much I truly LOVE Eric.

I dropped to my knees and begged my Heavenly Father for forgiveness.

I read somewhere that "Marriage is falling in love many times...with the same person." This is so true! I find myself falling in love with Eric over and over. But when I really stopped to think about it, I don't always SHOW Eric that I love him, especially in front of our kids.

I made a list of things that I am determined to improve on.
1. Improve the atmosphere.
Eric always calls when he's on his way home. I need to take that time to create a positive atmosphere that he is glad to come home too---despite the circumstances. I will greet him at the door with a hug, kiss and welcome home. I especially want to teach this to my kids. Daddy coming home is going to be a celebration everyday---despite the circumstances.

2. Spend more time together.
I am constantly complaining that 'we don't ever do anything together'. Which is not true. I need to use everyday opportunities to spend time with him, and make them enjoyable. I've decided to start working out in the evening and I know this is something that he wants to do, too. So I'm going to formally invite him to join me in exercising. Every time. Not an open ended invite.

3. Show a little PDA from time to time.
I don't want to scar my kids for life by making out with Daddy at the dinner table, so instead I've decided to offer a little peck from time to time. I married my prince charming. (Even if prince charming can clear the room with his farts). :-) Seriously, our kids need to know love is wonderful and God's love is even greater.

So here are my three new challenges to make Hubby a priority.

1 thoughts from friends:

Tracy said...

Um, about #3- the PDA's, I don't want to step on your toes, but I think that our children need to see us making out. marriage is fun, exciting, etc. Our children need to look forward to sharing those times with their spouses. And I won't scar them for life, trust me. I'm not talking about groping and the like, but a wonderfully passionate kiss, holding hands, gazing lovingly at one another... our children need to see these things so that they can see what a healthy marriage is.

The world says that dating is fun, and that marriage is boring. Is THAT what we want our children to believe?