Saturday, March 8, 2008

Priorities

Having to stay in bed alone with my thoughts I've started to re-think my priorities.

I've teetered on the edge of throwing my hands up in the air and giving up. It's a hard job for me, being a mother of three. I find that I have been keeping a tally of good days and bad days, without even realizing it. My fuse has become shorter and shorter and my despair greater and greater. For some reason I'm struggling to find a balance with three kids most days. In thinking more about why I keeping feeling this way I discovered that it was not everyday that I felt like I was fighting a losing battle. The bad days are those days when my housework has fallen behind or I haven't been able to have my special time with the kids. One thing that has greatly helped me has been to re-focus my priorities. Fun things for myself that I enjoy, time with my kids, time with Eric, a good attitude, my mom's group, bible study, the house, and different things I do for our church are some of the large catagories on my plate. Sound familiar?

I found my family suffering because I had too many things on my plate. I love to serve. Mike Holmes said, "Jack of all trades, master of none." When I looked at my plate and the things that filled it, I found that the things that I wanted to focus on where being pushed aside to make room for the small things that were of some "less" importance. I have since cleared my plate of some of those small things and I've turned my focus back to the ministries I feel God is leading.

Our merciful God promises not to give us more than we can handle. It's easy for me to feel that I should bear the load. When, in truth, God gives me the load so that I turn to Him to help me carry it. God has blessed me with three children. I need to rely on Him for strength instead of a can of Coke ;-).

To be honest, when I really took the time to think about why some days seemed so much harder than others, I was ashamed at what He Revealed. On those bad days I look at my job as a mother as a burden instead of a blessing. I love being a mom and I need to find that joy on the dark days of despair.

I need to see my role as a mother as a challenge. A challenge from the Lord to glorify Him, lean on Him, grow in Him and teach His children through all this. How? I've decided to use the "brainwashing" method proposed by Rebecca in a previous post. I need to change my thinking and replace my negative thoughts with His word.

Mark 10:27 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God."

Here is the first verse of many, I'm sure, that I will hide within my heart for the days that I feel burdened instead of blessed.

2 thoughts from friends:

Aubs said...

Thank you for sharing Jean! We recently talked about the "burden vs blessing" mindset in the bible study I'm doing and in your words..He revealed to me that so much of why things were so hard for me was exactly this mindset! Motherhood was one of the main things I realized I was too often seeing as a burden so I can completely relate. I still struggle with this but I am so thankful that my eyes were opened and I now think to turn to the Lord for the help I need instead of trying to be a "supermom" on my own. God bless Jean....you are such a blessing to me.

Aubs said...

Thank you for sharing Jean! We recently talked about the "burden vs blessing" mindset in the bible study I'm doing and in your words..He revealed to me that so much of why things were so hard for me was exactly this mindset! Motherhood was one of the main things I realized I was too often seeing as a burden so I can completely relate. I still struggle with this but I am so thankful that my eyes were opened and I now think to turn to the Lord for the help I need instead of trying to be a "supermom" on my own. God bless Jean....you are such a blessing to me.