Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A friend from far coming near



I have put off posting about my excitement with the approaching events of next week, but after reading the words from a friend most dear to my heart, I feel the time has come.

I have the pleasure, and I mean pleasure, of meeting a gal who has been a mentor to me for some time now. My mother-in-law, (though she is not referred to as such) has graciously given me a wonderful gift; the opportunity to meet Rebecca. I love the way Mom sees a time when she can do something for someone else, seizes that opportunity and takes it beyond expectations.

So I bring the question to those who are married.... What is your relationship with your mother-in-law? I have the pleasure of seeing this woman, show love to my children that can only be compared to the same love I share with them. It's an amazing thing to witness how much they truly love her. She has made a home for them within her home. Not only for my children, but for me as well. It is my home away from home. It's the silly things that touch my heart like forgetting to get corn bread mix at the grocery store. I just called Mom, and of course, she had some and brought it over. Did I mention the only way I even made it to the store was because she was watching my kids? She had earned my respect instead of demanding it. She built our relationship on the foundation of our shared love for my children, a bond that is stronger than any girl's lunch, shopping trip or gift. But I will admit when we do those lunches and shopping trips I "force" myself to have a good time :-). HA!

Now that I have been blessed with this opportunity to finally meet the Rebecca (I only know through her writings and photos), I am excited and nervous. Christi Mary Warner said "A true friend is one who know all about you and likes you anyway." I have learned so much and have grown so much as a person because God has used her to mentor me in a time when I needed it most. I am thankful she is not perfect. I have found great comfort in knowing that she shares the same struggles.

1 Thessalonians 5:11- Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

How can I let this person know how much I respect, admire, love and cherish our friendship? I have this opportunity to meet my mentor, what can I possibly say to express my appreciation? Can a hug say too little or more than words every could? I hope the latter.

As she reads this I can imagine Rebecca's thinking that I'm putting her on a pedestal. There is no room for disappointment because God doesn't make disappointments.

So there! ;-)

2 thoughts from friends:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am crying again. Thanks so much for you loving words. I do love those kids beyond words. I know you will love and get along with Rebecca as well as I do her momma. Sure glad that I get to have both of them in my home soon.

And hugs say more than words ever can!! It has been so fun talking with you both and seeing how much you are both excited and nervous. It is going to be great to have this week together.

Aubs said...

Have a wonderful time Jean! What an amazing opportunity....may God bless both of you and your time together!